Tuesday, May 17, 2011

New Orleans, Louisiana

This past weekend I was supposed to be in New Orleans, Louisiana attending a good friends wedding, but, for several reasons, I was not able to go.  I feel awful for not being able to celebrate with my friend and I was really disappointed not to be able to visit the city again, so I thought I would share my past favorite experiences in New Orleans.



I have been to New Orleans many times and each time I go, I love the city more and more.  The first time I went to the Crescent City, I hated it.  It was hot, humid, smelly, dirty, and the Foot Locker employee who ran into me while running after a shoe thief did not help.  However, it did not keep me from going back and I have learned to love New Orleans for all that it is.  It is a bit smelly and some streets can be dirty, but let's face it, stealing tennis shoes can occur anywhere.  Still, there is no other city like New Orleans and the city oozes character.  Where else can you hear music playing from every side of every street?  Dine on beignets?  Drink hurricanes on a patio or at a bar or on the street?  I love the hidden courtyards with beautiful gardens, the iron gated balconies, the accents, the unique cemetaries and the beignets (worth mentioning twice).






After Hurricane Katrina, I was left with a lot of emotions.  I was mostly sad for all of the people lost and all of the remaining people who lost everything.  But, the geographer in me was also angry - who builds an entire city below sea level?  I had the opportunity to go to New Orleans to help with the clean-up efforts, but, for several reasons, I was not able to go.  This has been one of my biggest regrets.


Congrats Whitney and Colter!  Wish I could have been there!

No comments:

Post a Comment