Friday, January 11, 2013

HUGE Home Improvements

I do not know if it is the start of the new year or if that I feel like the house is sad because Christmas is over, but I have the urge to finally get some stuff done.   I would love to gut our bathroom and redo the kitchen, but we do not have the budget for that.  So, we decided to tackle some small projects instead.

Before:
DSC_0426
After:
DSC_0426
You do not see the difference?

Before:
DSC_0443
After:
DSC_0443
Still no difference?  But I spent several hours painting (a second coat of white paint...)  I know, super boring, but it really needed to be done.

After:
DSC_0435

DSC_0432
DSC_0439

I hate, hate, hated the lights in our house but I always put off changing them to spend money on something more exciting - paint, bedding, fabric!  Now that we have changed the lights, I am sorry we did not do it earlier.  The new lights (from Home Depot) make a big difference.  Now, what to do with all the old lights... They are in good shape and I am sure someone likes them.  Maybe I can talk Kyle into another Craigslist posting that leads to awkward conversations with strangers visiting our house?  We could use the cash.  Also, we need to paint our ceilings now.

Before:

DSC_0476
After:

DSC_0478
Kyle had the idea to spray paint all the door knobs to get rid of the brassy, gold hideousness, and I actually agreed.  I do not mind gold knobs, just not in this house.  It makes everything look even more 90s.  The only problem is that I am only about 1/3 done.  Turns out taking off and putting back on knobs is a giant pain.  We need a cordless, electric screwdriver!

We did a few more things, like move curtains from the basement to our bedroom, but I will spare you the exciting details.

3 comments:

  1. Everything looks great! I have a house that's needs some work if you get bored with your projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not think we will get bored, but we will run out of money. So, I would be happy to move on to your house (and your bank account:) ).

      Delete
    2. sounds good to me, after we sell the Kansas house that is. Unless you want to come help scrub everything clean.

      Delete