Friday, March 27, 2009

Oklahoma City National Memorial





I recently visited the Oklahoma City National Memorial and found it, surprisingly, to be a very peaceful place.  The memorial covers a lawn where the building that was bombed used to be.  There are two walls at each end of a shallow reflecting pool.  One of the walls had the time 9:01 carved out, to represent the minute before the bombing, and the other wall had 9:03 carved out to represent the minute after.  Then, there were chairs on one side of the lawn; a chair for each person who died and smaller chairs for the children that died.  On the other side of the lawn was the Survivor Tree.  This is a tree that made it through the bombing, although it does have its scars.  Finally, I walked passed the Memory Fence, where loved ones can place items to remember those lost.  This was a little overwhelming for me, but I hope it brings comfort to those that lost family and friends. 








As recommended, I went back to the memorial at night and found it to still be a calming place.  It was also amazing to photograph!  I am no professional but I did follow them around and try to copy their pictures.

The memorial was so thought out and so well done.  I am not sure what is going on with the 9/11 memorial in NYC, but I think they should get it together.   It only took five years to put the OKC memorial in place and it gives people a chance to remember and learn.





No comments:

Post a Comment