Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Virginia Beach, VA

We spent Memorial Day weekend at the beach, and if you ask me, it is the best way to spend Memorial Day weekend.  I have only been in D.C. for the past three Memorial Days, but each time it has been so darn hot.  This weekend was no exception, so I was very happy when we arrived at the beach and it was only 80.


On the way out to Virginia Beach we stopped by my Aunt Pat's house.  We had a great visit and explored Colonial Williamsburg a bit (read:  went to the awesome candy store).  




Then, we were off to the beach, until we hit traffic, then we were off again!

We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott North and ended up getting upgraded to a suite.  I am not sure how that happened, but I was not going to question it.  With all of the baby crap we have to haul around, a suite is fantastic!  The pool was beautiful, and although it was tough to find chairs, very few people were actually in the pool.  The on site restaurant was... fine.  The location was great!  It was right on the beach, at the north end of the boardwalk.  It was much quieter at the north end, away from the drunken tourists/roaming teenagers/timeshare salesmen/all-around questionable locals.



We spent most of our time relaxing on the beach, relaxing at the pool, or relaxing in our room.  I am sure there are some sites to see or some shopping that could be done in Virginia Beach, but we did not get there.  I did not even take out my camera very much, unless it was to take about 2,343,756 pictures of Anna.





We did have a few great meals over the weekend.  Friday night we ate at Eat (very Food Network), Saturday night we checked out Pelon's Baja Grill (spicy!), and Sunday night we grabbed food from Taste (fresh and yummy).  All three places were really, really good. 


Anna was great on the trip.  She actually slept through the night, for the most part.  I am not sure if it was all the fresh air or if she really likes her pack-n-play or if it was the sound of the ocean.  Wait, I am pretty sure it was the sound of the ocean (read:  we need a home on the ocean).  



Overall, we had a great weekend in Virginia Beach.  It is nice to have the ocean so close (only about 3.5 hours from D.C.).  The beach and the boardwalk were beautiful since the city keeps those areas so clean, and they seem to go on forever.  The strip of shops and restaurants was pretty cheesy, bordering on trashy, but where else can you find t-shirts, hermit crabs, a funhouse, a haunted house, tattoos, and fudge all on the same block? 





3 comments:

  1. Looks like you all had a great mini-vacation. I've always wanted to go there...maybe, someday. Anna looks like she enjoyed herself too. She is one well-traveled little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Anna is a southern girl at heart, loves the warm water. She will have to learn that jellyfish come with warm water, except in the Bahamas!! You have to keep these pictures for her, especially the last one sitting in the blue chair, too cute. Reminds me of you floating in the inner tube in the pool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    My name is Sarah and I'm with Dwellable.
    I was looking for blog posts about Virginia Beach to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, drop me a line at Sarah(at)dwellable(dot)com.
    Hope to hear from you :)
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete