Sunday, March 4, 2012

Design Trouble

Good afternoon...this is Kyle again...I don't post often, but I have a problem and I am hopeful that the readers (Erin, mom(s), Sean?....maybe Miranda? Rebecca?) can help. This is not a REAL problem, but a design problem.

Our main floor is huge so we separated our living space into a dining room and living room (or family room...I'm really not sure what the difference is). These spaces are separated by the fireplace which creates a design challenge. Now, if I had the budget to allow two teams of hopeful HGTV hosts to attack this problem, that would be great, but I only have you. What should we do? What should we buy? How should we arrange?


Please excuse the poor quality of the following cell phone pictures.






I am open to buying new furniture, but I am not ok with replacing the entertainment center (I sunk 20 hours of my life into assembling this IKEA masterpiece).

As you can see, the main problem is functional seating that flows.  I hate myself for typing that, but I would hate myself more if I were to continue to live with an angled couch.

Any idea is acceptable, but a complete design with manufacturer part numbers, prices, and URLs (for ease of ordering) is preferred.  Measurements available upon request...measurements of the room that is.  Katy and I do not make a habit of publishing any other measurements.

Thanks!







12 comments:

  1. I'm not a design star on HGTV, but I do like watching those shows and I love to go on pinterest, so I will see if I can find any ideas that you could possible use and get back to you....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really have to be there to reconfigure furniture, so sorry. I assume you don't like the sofa facing the TV? How about a sofa like the one on the first level? I wouldn't worry about the fireplace unless you are "staging" the house for sale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. curious what Sean has to say. Always fun to hear a man's opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure Sean actually reads this....just knew that readers were limited

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Pam. A seating area like that on the first floor would be a great solution. Maybe...switch them out? It's very comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. at least switch them out to try it before you buy anything.

      Delete
  6. I like how you write this post after I rearrange the furniture. I guess you don't like what I did?

    I am not convinced we need seating so that we can see the TV perfectly. We can hang out downstairs if we're going to watch TV or a movie.

    I am convinced that we need a new couch and chair: 1. What we have is ugly. 2. I am tired of getting poked by feathers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah....basically I just want new furniture and less angles.

      Delete
    2. when i came over and saw the couch on an angle, i thought you had been vacuuming underneath it.

      i liked when you had the couch across from the tv and the chair by the kitchen. is that too crowded?

      Delete
  7. Ha. I guess I'm really bad at room design.

    It is not too crowded, but I didn't like how it blocked the fire place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no, i just have a problem with things at weird angles. i like things lined up in straight lines or at 90 degrees! (couldn't you have guessed?)

      Delete
    2. I'm with Erin, guess she gets it from me, hee hee

      Delete